I heard on the news this morning that March 1st used to be considered the first day of the year. Interesting! It is a good day to begin a new year. Spring is soon to be here; we are in the season of Lent; beautiful things are unfolding in nature. This news has gotten me thinking about a new leaf I should overturn.
I am a shopaholic. There, I said it. Last Sunday I spent three hours on-line shopping. I ordered forty-one things from Lands End! Forty-one things! I know I have a problem. I always say that shopping is my hobby. Whoa...what a hobby it has become. I have a deep-seeded desire to quell this vice. So, I have decided to commit to a huge, huge life change. I have decided to try one whole year without a day in a shop. My husband is on board. He is secretly thrilled with the idea, I am sure.
I have survived one day. I did it. I did not even look at one thing online. I stayed home and meditated, did yoga, cooked, snuggled with my husband by the fire. I had time to hang pictures in the guest bedroom. I had time to walk three miles and watch Downtown Abbey on the day it came out. I purged my home of the many and various coupons and special deals sent to me by the retailers I love. I feel like I am breaking up with my boyfriend. I am sorry Ann Taylor. Please forgive me J. Crew. We may get back together again. I hope I am strong enough to resist your charms, my retail friends.
I will look to my idols Thomas Merton and Henry David Thoreau. I will read their works and remain inspired by their ability and willingness to empty themselves of the trappings of contemporary existence. I will spend more time in nature and in meditation. I suppose I will find something more about the world and myself by expending less time in my favorite
pastime. I will read more and write more. Yada, yada, yada. Promises, promises. One day down. 364 days to go. We shall see!
No comments:
Post a Comment