Day 2
Ok....two days down. I am feeling pretty strong. It has been a while since I have gone two days without shopping. I am sick as a dog; that helps. Sadly, sickness doesn't always equate to abstinence when it comes to shopping. I can thank the internet for that! When I had my hip transplant I became very close with my wonderful UPS man. He brought me package after package and truly supported me during a lonely time. What???????
The internet connection led me right to the places I could not physically visit. Danger Will Rogers! What is to become of the UPS men and women who I have, through my consistent shopping, kept employed? This thought is just occurring to me. Maybe it is too much this idea of mine. What will happen to Sunday delivery if crazy people like me stop spending hours after hours on Amazon.com? I may have to reconsider, at the very least spend some time in discernment.
To be honest, I did have a moment of weakness. Lunch time is always browsing-the-deals time. I just spend a few minutes from 11:07-11:50 checking in to see what I might be missing. I scroll through the nice suggestive emails sent to me by my faithful friends. Gap is fairly faithful about sending me good deals; Ann Taylor, of course,does a good job of keeping me in the loop. These committed stores join a long list of those who do not disappoint during lunch hour email checks. They show me how lovely I could be with new red paisley crop pants and a navy boat neck sweater.They give me hope for spring days and Easter dresses in the near future. These emails allow me to be creative about my spending, while I negotiate with myself about why I need one more cardigan sweater or patent leather zebra print belt.
I am shocked and pleased to say that I did not fall into temptation. I did do a lot of clicking of the mouse on day 2, but only to delete the magnetic emails as they filled my in box. I even marked many of the retailers as spam so that I wouldn't have to see what I would be missing. And...I unsubscribed from some of my favorite stores. It actually scares me to imagine what it will be like when my retail boy and girlfriends are no longer reaching out to me. How will I know what is going on in the fashion world?
I have decided to shoulder on.
I notice already that this venture will involve a lot of trust in others to provide. If I need coffee, if I need mascara, if I need new unders: someone who loves me must decide to give of their own stores of cash to provide for my needs. I suppose I will begin to learn what my needs are. I suppose I will have to ask others for help. I suppose I will have to put my faith in someone besides Mr. TJ Maxx.
Oh well, as my trusty students remind me I have only 363 days left to figure this all out. Oh holy control. I will have to give you up as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment