Friday, March 13, 2015

Day 12

So how is it going?  Well, everyone I see happens to ask me this question about how this project of mine is progressing.  To be honest, it is going better than I imagined it would.  Although it has only been a bit short of two weeks, I am surprised about what I have learned about myself and other important things about the world. 

I have more time to do petty research now.  As you know, I have already studied eye creams and today I did some research on the history of mascara. Each morning of my life I send up a little prayer of thanks to God for the creators of mascara.  I never knew the names of these beauty history greats until today. What I have learned about mascara is rather interesting and well-worth passing on.  

Mascara as we know it today comes from two products, petroleum jelly and coal dust.  Eugene Rimmel, God bless his soul, in 1917 created the first packaged mascara product out of these two basic ingredients.  I am pretty sure I have seen the name Rimmel on some make up product before, but it has held no meaning until now.  I  find it interesting the this mascara was created by a man.  I also find it interesting to note the ancient history of changing the color or shape of the eyes with this black joy-of-a-thing we see as so normal today. 

In ancient times, most of us know, the eyes were considered the portal to the soul.  They were marked with black kohl in an attempt to CONCEAL them! This practice was thought to ward off evil spirits, to seek protection, to celebrate life and death and cause success in war. Woman and men wore mascara and it was not considered a feminine practice.  I think it is also the basis for why athletes mark their eye area with black before they go into battle. (I am making that athlete part up, but...) Now we try so hard to expose the eyes as a thing of personality and expression. I wonder why the change. I can bet change in ritual and religion had something to do with it.

Religious practice has influenced our culture so much over history, it amazes me.  Who would have thunk that the application of mascara could be tied to religious ritual and protection of the gods? Certainly, not me. Whatever the reason, I am thankful.  I try every day to beautify my eyes with mascara. I am pretty sure that this vain behavior is not too pleasing to God. However, it is darn pleasing to me! 

I now know to offer up a moment of prayer to Mr. Eugene Rimmel each morning. May his soul be at rest, knowing how he has enhanced my life and lengthened my morning ritual.  


No comments:

Post a Comment