I teach my students often that, "Everything in the Bible happens in threes." It is true. Abraham went up to sacrifice Isaac on the third day. Moses and his people left on the third day. Jesus rose on the third day. I could go on. You will have to trust me or Google it. So here I sit after the third day of my new year has passed, reflecting on how it is going, waiting for something to happen. Some may be surprised I made it even this far. I own that. However, I am not surprised. I am a very strong willed person. This has been a blessing and a curse in my close to fifty-two years of life. I think it will serve me well in this endeavor.
Day three passed without much problem. I caught up with a dear friend during my first planning period of the day. I checked no adds in the morning. Lunch passed with little problem; I had the good news of my son's haircut to fill my thoughts. I am still not feeling well, so after classes were done I left early to go home and sleep. All was well. Then, as I was just about to complete my drive home, I rounded the corner of Buckeye Parkway and Stringtown Road.
There were many things that brought great excitement to me when I moved to Grove City two years ago. None the least of which was the presence of every major chain retail outlet within two short miles from my house. I can walk or ride my bike to shop, if necessary. It has been a source of comfort to me, especially with all of this dicey winter weather we have been experiencing. I have been able to check in at my favorite stores "quickly" at the end of the school day or on a Saturday morning. I just like to be sure I am not missing anything that would be a "must have" item.
So, on day three, as I rounded that faithful corner off of 71 south, I had my first real pang of dread. My car started to make its way into the TJ Maxx parking lot. It veered into the lot like a dog seeking out its favorite spot to do her business. It pulled off to the right and drove right up to the window of TJ Maxx to look in on the mother ship. Then some force overtook me and I stopped my car, turned her around, and drove home.
Once home, I snuggled up on the couch by the fire. I made a cup of half-calf and promptly finished the day's grading. As my grade book wouldn't load from the powerschool website,I turned off my computer and went to sleep. I felt a small sense of pride for my mini-accomplishment. I also felt a small sense of self-loathing for the fact that this is a struggle for me at all. What have I become? Who am I that this is a problem? Why must TJ Maxx be sooo fabulous? Answers to come, I suppose. I may need to join a support group or something. I know things will only become more difficult as the days go on. Thank God I have yoga to calm my mind and body. I better work on retraining my car.
No comments:
Post a Comment