Today marks one complete week of my no shopping quest! I am some what surprised I have made it this far! However, here I sit wondering what today will hold as I charge down to Cincinnati for my daughter's birthday brunch.
My seventh day marked the first Saturday in approximately, oh my God I don't know how many, years! I don't know how I used to fit all the shopping in and still enjoy my Saturdays. Shopping as much as I do is somewhat of an artwork.
My husband and I had a day of mini-vacation yesterday, truly vacating the norm and really enjoying our day with some new adventurous things! We ventured out to a new pub downtown and actually sat at the bar and ate our food from the neighboring food truck. I had the most sumptuous pulled pork and, unfortunately, a ton of the most delicious fries I have ever eaten. The Seventh Son Brewery may become one of our new haunts. They have a lovely private room wherein I could see enjoying one of my children's graduation parties. It is light and airy and rustic and fun.
We met a nice young man wasting some time during his wife's baby shower. We spoke with him about life as a parent of two twin boys. We, too, had time to waste that was gained by passing on my normal hours spent engrossed in shopping.
I wonder what my friends at TJ Maxx are thinking at this point. Over the last two years it would have been very rare that I did not show up there on the weekend to check in. Honestly, I am salivating a tiny bit thinking about what new jewelry, sweaters, and dresses may have come in. I am also dreaming of the new spring ready-to-wear that I might be missing.
Luckily, today I went "shopping" in my room and found a brand-new beautiful skirt and pair of lovely black patent-leather pumps to wear to my daughter's birthday brunch. I am definitely channeling a little June Cleaver this morning. Man, how I admire her sense of style, even when doing the dishes. I have never seen the lovely June without a string of pearls around her neck. She is my kind of gal.
Over the years, I have truly learned that my memories are linked to my wardrobe. I honestly remember events by what I was wearing. I can tell you what I wore for every Easter for the last 25 years. I know what I wore on the night I met my husband. I know what I wore home from the hospital when having my children. I know what I wore on the first day of school at De Sales. Frankly, I know what I wore home from the hospital when I was sick and four years old in Charleston, South Carolina. I was wearing black patent leather shoes that day, as well.
Maybe I am always focused on the outside, because looking inside is difficult. Maybe. Maybe I just love clothes and things and adorning myself with the most beautiful latest fashion out there. I suppose that is one more thing I'll have to figure out over the next 358 days. Obviously, I will have time.
Well, I survived my first Saturday. I will survive 51 more. It will not be easy. I will really start to miss all things new. I am off to celebrate twenty one years of my daughter's life. It should be a beautiful day. The most important things, I will be surrounded with today. And, I do just happen to have a great outfit, to boot!
No comments:
Post a Comment